Wednesday, August 4, 2010

WEEK 16 - THING 15 - CREATIVE COMMONS

The Creative Commons concept is a great idea and hopefully will allow better and easier collaborations for greater project successes. I looked up "Artistic Club" on the CC Contents site and was impressed at how the lack of copyright restrictions allowed so much creative sharing to take place. While I understand the idea behind the law that makes everything one does automatically copyrighted, it often causes problems and impedes progress in the development of ideas, etc. That said, it seems to me that the four categories necessarily allowed under CC could also have the potential to be a bit cumbersome. Flickr has helped to make that easier.

I think this is wonderful information for a library to be able to share, so I am glad to have had the opportunity to learn about CC. It seems our professors could benefit from being familiar with how to find "free" materials to present to their classes. I don't think I would hesitate to allow whatever I do to be shared. I remember presenting a program several years ago, and being asked to write it up for publishing. Because I had used material (ideas) from many sources, drawing from memories of things I had read or discussed, etc., I couldn't be sure that I had not crossed the copyright line, so I declined. The program had involved considerable work on my part, and I would have loved to have made it available for others to use. (Perhaps I'm so willing because I'm pretty sure that nothing I create has a real monetary value!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment