Friday, August 27, 2010

WEEK 20 - THING 18 AUDIOBOOKS

Beth Farrell's article was very informative, much of it mirrored some of the pros and cons I have heard before. I really enjoy listening to books-on-tape, especially on long trips, but the technology to support them can be daunting--nevermind the pricing. Her statements "All players and readers are different and everyone has a different problem" and "everything in the downloadable audiobook industry is subject to change, at lightning speeds" were right on the mark.

As I have embarrassingly and too often said in former blogs, I have chosen not to have a home computer until I retire (or change my mind) and the VCCS isn't licensed to install OverDrive's software on our library computers, but during a trial period, I did download a book to my MP3. Our local library has a dedicated OverDrive station which so far I haven't felt the need to use it. We have some signs around our library about the availability of OverDrive, but since it has to be used by our patrons at home, we don't always know for certain if or how often they are using it.

How wonderful that LibriVox is trying to record every public domain book though I wonder if listening to a different voice for every chapter would be a bit disconcerting. I like their tag line "Acoustical liberation of books in the public domain!" Oh how easy sharing all kinds of media used to be!!

No comments:

Post a Comment